Thank you for your interest. The wait list is currently closed. We will be re-opening the wait list shortly.
This storage option is for Black Rock City projects, intended to help our participants, artists and theme camps with storage near the event.
Burning Man is offering participants the option to purchase a 20 foot shipping container and providing a fee-based storage and delivery service to and from the event. The goal is to promote cooperation amongst participants to share storage, minimize fuel consumption caused by repeat shipping each year, and improve safety on the highways by reducing the amount of large-scale hauling entering BRC each year. This may also allow participants to build on and improve on previous years endeavors, leading to grander camps, projects, and creative ideas all around. We look forward to watching how this option might enhance and expand what’s possible in Black Rock City!
For additional detail, we highly recommend you read our Frequently Asked Questions.
- You will need to ship your items to the event this year to load up your container for the first time. You will not need to ship your items back home! After that, we will annually deliver your container of items to your camp location in time to build BRC.
- The container purchase costs $3,450.00 — you then own the container itself. This one-time cost also includes the required preparation and painting. (Washoe County requires all containers stored in the general rural areas be painted a specific color.) The container will be fully painted and prepped for you to begin using.
- The annual service/storage fee is $645, payable each summer prior to the event. The yearly round trip delivery fee is $350, payable each summer prior to the event. If you decide to skip a year and don’t need your container, you will not need to pay for delivery service that year.
The total you should budget for purchasing a new container in 2016 is $4,445.00.
- There are a limited number of containers available each year. Filling out the application does not guarantee a purchase agreement, rental agreement or delivery option. The wait list is currently closed.
- If you don’t need all the space yourself and would like to coordinate sharing the purchase and usage of a container, and you don’t already have a partner project, please use this Google Group to reach out to other interested parties. Anybody can join the group. Note: you’ll still need to designate a single primary owner and responsible party to sign the storage contract and to be the individual responsible for billing.
- You have access to the container only on the playa, during Burning Man. There is no public storage facility access outside the event. (We are considering how we can offer public access available in the future, but currently, Washoe County permitting does not allow public access on the land where the containers will be stored.) If for any reason you want to transport your container to a location of your choosing, you would need to contract and secure the transportation and handling via a third party. You must pre-arrange your container removal so that it occurs during the time that containers are being transported to and from the event. Renting a Forklift from Reno, moving rows of containers and the time required for this is problematic and very expensive in the off season.
- Review the contract for a complete list of materials that cannot be stored (for example, no hazardous materials).
- No additions can be made to the outside of your container. They must be able to store flush against another container.
For additional details about the service, we highly recommend you read our Frequently Asked Questions.
You can preview the contract here: Contract Preview
If you have questions after reading the FAQ, feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org